Located at Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia, Longwood Gardens extends over 1099 acres of gardens, woodlands and meadows. In 1906, Pierre S. DuPont, the American entrepreneur, purchased the existing farm and arboretum on the property and embarked on the transformation from a simple country farm into one of the leading horticultural displays in the country. Today Longwood Gardens consists of varied outdoor gardens ranging from formal to natural in their landscape design, and 20 underground fountains.
The gardens have recently undergone their largest renovation project in history: the revitalization of the historic Main Fountain Gardens. DeSantana is proud to have been awarded the contract to be a part of this important project. Below are photos of components for the “West Love Temple”, one of the gazebo structures on the property. Jane Kennelly of DeSantana Stone works with John Lehman, AIA of Highland Park, MD and with the Rizzo and Sons Masonry team, including Mark Rizzo and Tony Rizzo leading restoration and installation portions of the project. In these photos the components are being analyzed and documented to be either replaced or restored. Frank Genello was also a part of our team for this project and was responsible for the dutchmen repairs and installation.
The stone used for the gardens in the early 1900's was imported from stone quarries of Northern Italy. These historical quarries have been in operation since the Roman times, and continue to supply the famed limestone preferred by Palladio and the most accomplished architects in the world.